|Local Historic Sites
Here you will find contact information for the
Newark Valley Historians, and a listing of the local sites on the State
Register of Historic Places.
The Newark Valley
Genealogy information, official town records,
Historic Register materials, photographs, maps, diaries, letters, and
news clippings related to Newark Valley are available at the Town
Hours are Tuesdays, 2-4 p.m. and by
appointment. Contact: Shirley Callahan at (607) 642-8705. The office
mailing address is 109 Whig Street, Newark Valley, New York, 13811.
Local Sites on the State Register of Historic Places
1997 Awards Ceremony
The ceremony was attended by a full
house, including all the property owners, plus most of our
public officials. Presenting the awards were two state
representatives from NYS Office of Parks, Recreation and
Historic Preservation - Win Aldrich and Claire Ross. Claire had
been our guiding light through all of this, and was happy to
witness the final fruition of everyone's work.
After the presentations, attendees enjoyed
a short slide program, refreshments were served and people had
time to visit and look at the booklets prepared for each
property. A master copy of the nominations is available in the
Historical Society office, on the second floor of the Municipal
Building, Park St., Newark Valley.
John Settle / Clyde Tull Farm House and Barn
This property has been farmed since ca 1840
after David Settle had purchased it in 1827. Generations later,
Oscar Settle expanded it to over 1000 acres. Today it is much
smaller, but still being farmed. There are two ca 1880 Victorian
barns, plus several other outbuildings. Although modified, the
house still retains enough of the original to be recognized as
an early farmhouse.
Sutton / Howland / Chapman / Phillips House
Early Republic and Federal features are
found in this home, built in at least two phases. The main
entrance has three light sidelights, a nine light transom,
classical pilasters and capped by a stepped cornice. The south
section has seen many lives - perhaps as an enlistment site for
the Civil War, an apartment, and a craft shop.
Maple Lawn Farm
This late Victorian, stick style farm house
was built ca 1880 on property farmed since early 1800's. The
banked barn was probably built between 1840-1870 because
circular saw marks can be seen.
|Lipe / Keith Farm
One of the oldest farms in the area
still in use, it remains in the family of the original owners
who bought 70 acres of the Boston Purchase. The 1872 Victorian
farmhouse replaced a plank house. Besides milk cows, cash crops
have included apples and Maple syrup.
Clinton / Rhodes House
This 1881 Morris Clinton house was designed
and built by Mr. Clinton to included a center staircase, ample
light to all rooms and a large attic. This innovative design was
published in an agricultural journal in 1882 along with an
engraving. There have been few changes over the years.
|Nowlan / Geerken / Evans House
Both Greek Revival and Italiante
elements can be seen in this cross gabled house with its
flush-board facade, symmetric window placement, front porch. The
outbuildings once were used as a pheasant raising business and
then an egg business. It remained in the same family until the
House and Milk House
This farm remained
in the Wade family from 1833 to 1992. The present owners are
restoring the house and outbuildings. The original wainscoting,
cut from a single tree remains in the dining room; original
paints are being uncovered and matched. The English barn is
being used. This is a working farm, using many old methods.
Chamberlain / Harris House
The first phase of this house was built ca
1835, the second 1840-1850, and the final section about 1855.
Early Republic-Federal-Greek Revival architecture includes a
wrap-around porch. Much of the interior remains intact.
/ Holden / Ortu Farm
reports that Jonathan and Betsey Bement Belcher were living at
this location. It is believed that the Federal style farmhouse
was built in 1812, presently being restored. Family legend says
that the leaded glass lights surrounding the front door (visible
in an early photo) were removed, the lead melted down and
donated to the World War I effort. The farm is an intact example
of a 19th century farm complex, including an early, modified
|West Newark Congregational
Church, Cemetery, and School House
The present schoolhouse/social hall was
once a one-room school and meetinghouse of the church and was
located across the road from its present location.
The church was built in 1848 in Greek
Revival style with clapboard and flushboard siding on a
fieldstone foundation. Organized as the Union Church of
Westville and Candor in 1823, changed to the Second Church of
Newark in 1832 and adopted the Congregational rules of worship
in 1853, it is now an independent Congregational Church. Most of
the old records were lost in a fire in 1990.
cemetery is next to and behind the church; having been
established in 1820's as a church cemetery. Later it became a
community burial ground. It is believed the cemetery was
transferred to the West Newark Cemetery Association in 1905-06,
with additions of more property. Again these records were
destroyed in the 1990 house fire of the president of the
Blewer / Akins Farm
|This large former dairy farm dates from
1820. The present house dates from 1898. The smaller house, next
door may be the first home of John & Julia Blewer, built in
1836. Their descendants lived on the property until the 1950's.
The large barn, built in 1926, using timber from the farm,
replaced one that had burned.
Farrand / Pierson / Nizalowski House
This Greek Revival house was built ca. 1860
with a modified temple front. The rear portion appears to
incorporate an earlier house known to stand on the property.
Many original six over six windows remain.
Dr. Hiram Knapp Sr., a
country doctor had this Colonial Revival home built in 1905, to
be used both as his office and a home in which to raise his
family. It has remained in the family, and now has been restored
back to original condition. The carriage house remains; the
speaking tube from the side entrance still will rouse anyone
sleeping in a second floor bedroom: even the finials from
drapery rods have been rescued from the attic.
Silk Street Bridge
In 1888, the town of Newark Valley purchased
a Lenticular pony truss bridge from the Berlin Iron Bridge
Company of East Berlin, CT. It is one of only perhaps 50 such
bridges known to survive in the U.S. Because of its width, age
and constant need of repair, the town is trying to find funds to
fix it properly.
Cemetery and Mausoleum
was established in 1820 as a privately owned burial ground. It
has been enlarged several times, and now is a nonprofit
association, governed by a Board of Trustees. The gravestones
represent every period of Newark Valley history. Many of the
paths are named for early settlers. The Mausoleum was built in
1928, containing 200 crypts in a neoclassical Greek Revival
structure with white marble interior, and plastered concrete on
Certificate of Historic Registry
An example of the certificates awarded to
each property owner. This certificate recognizes the Hope
Cemetery and Mausoleum.
Back to Top